With this guide of tips for traveling to United Kingdom We want to help you organize your trip to one of the most visited and complete countries in the world, in which we are safe, you will find everything you are looking for and also, it will exceed all your expectations.
With cities as cosmopolitan as London, postcard landscapes such as those in Scotland or Northern Ireland and towns that seem taken from a story, such as the Cotswolds, travel to England or to any of its three constituent nations, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, is a success day, whatever the season and whatever the duration of your trip.
Based on the different trips we have made to the country, of which we have written different guides such as the trip to The Cotswolds, the trip to Bristol, Bath, Salisbury and Stonehenge or the travel guide to London, after visiting the city on several occasions, the trip to Scotland and the trip to Ireland, we leave you what we believe, are the 10 essential tips for traveling to the United Kingdom. We start!
1. What is the best time?
Although as in many destinations in Europe we would dare to say that any time is good for travel to United KingdomYes, it is true that it is worth taking into account different aspects, especially climatic, to fully enjoy the trip.
- High season (from June to October): this is the most demanded season, due to good weather forecasts, and therefore the most expensive.
- Mid season (from March to May, September and October): although prices are lower, the probability of gray and rainy days makes this not the best time to organize the trip to the United Kingdom.
- Low season (from December to February): except for the month of December in London, in which Christmas is lived in a very special way, these months are usually cold and gray, so they would be the least recommended for this trip.
2. Entry requirements
If you are a Spanish or European Union (EU) citizen, you only need the ID or passport to enter the United Kingdom, although it is always advisable to carry both documents. Remember that the United Kingdom does not belong to the Schengen area so you must pass controls to enter the country. If you have another nationality, it is important to check the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Embassy to have the data updated.
Remember that due to the current uncertainty with Brexit and the exit of the UK from the EU, it is very important to have the data updated before travel to the UK.
In addition to the documents mentioned, it is very necessary to travel with the European Health Card to have medical assistance if necessary and especially in the United Kingdom and depending on what happens with Brexit, have the best travel insurance for Europe if you want have medical assistance in the best hospitals in addition to having repatriation included if necessary.
We always travel insured with Mondo, with whom we carry a totally adequate insurance to the needs that we will have on the trip. Hiring your insurance here with Mondo, just for being a Street Travelers reader, you have a 5% discount.
More tips for traveling to England
Other of the best tips for traveling to United Kingdom are:
- Although the weather forecast is good, in Ireland it is very common for the weather to change in a matter of minutes, so it is highly recommended to wear warm clothes and dress in layers.
- In Ireland it is usually eaten earlier than in the rest of Europe, so restaurants usually also have a shorter schedule. Breakfast is usually from 07:00 a.m. to 09:00 a.m., lunch from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. and dinner between 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Use the N26 card to pay and the BNEXT card to get money, they will not charge you commission and you will always have the current change. You can find much more information on this topic in the post The best cards to travel without commissions
- In Ireland the voltage is 230V, the frequency 50Hz and the plugs are type G.
If you feel like helping us complete the list of the 10 essential tips for traveling to the United Kingdom, add yours in the comments.